The Mission Statement of Belgorod State University
The mission of Belgorod State University (BelSU) is to solve research problems of international and national significance, to harmoniously integrate the educational, research, social and cultural functions of the University, to train highly qualified professionals capable of ensuring the competitiveness of Russia and Belgorod region in the global socioeconomic arena, and to preserve and develop the cultural and moral legacy of the country and the region.
Belgorod State University has
- more than 23 thousand students from all regions of Russia
- more than 2800 foreign students from 91 countries
- more than 5000 graduates annually
Academic March at the 1st of September
- 20 Joint Educational Projects with top universities in Europe and the Asia-Pacific Region
- 3 Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in English
- over 160 agreements for international cooperation
- 14 Associates and Members of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- over 1,100 Doctors and Candidates of Science
- 9 Institutes, 2 Colleges, 1 branch
- co-operational agreements for internship with more than 600 enterprises
- 24 core sub-departments of 105 sub-departments
Practice at Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials Subdepartment
- more than 180 specialties for Specialists, Bachelors and Masters
- more than 300 additional advanced training programs
- 3 educational programs with the EUR-ACE® (Accreditation of European Engineering Programs) quality mark
- quality management programs acknowledged by 55 countries of IQNet (USA, France, Belgium, Portugal, China, Germany, Korea, Austria etc.)
- 19 Candidate and Doctoral Dissertation Councils in 12 sciences
- 54 scientific disciplines for basic and applied research
- 24 for social and humanitarian specialties
- 30 for technical and natural scientific specialties
- 2 officially registered science schools
- 55 research centers and laboratories
- 2 common use centers for high-tech scientific equipment
Small innovative enterprise "Zitoinstrument BelGU" developing and producing microcapillary tubes for axilluary reproductive and cellular technologies
- a BSU Technological Cluster called 'High Technology' with a business incubator
- a regional IP Center;
- a regional Microbiological Center
- a 'Pharmaceutical and Medical Industry Research Institute'
- an Engineering Centre and Engineering School
- 44 small innovative enterprises
- 25 Postgraduate training programs in 66 specialities
- a Student Union comprising of 22 Student Associations
UN Club is the student association dealing with the projects related to international political organisations. The main goal is to conduct Belgorod UN International Model.
- a Youth Cultural Centre, which includes 17 students clubs
- a comprehensive Library system, including 10 reading halls, 8 delivery desks, 1,324 million editions
- more than 4000 computers, 72 computer classrooms (inclusive of all branches and the Medical College)
- 22 academic buildings
- 7 Halls of Residence
- a Publishing House called 'Belgorod'
- a church called St. Gabriel's
- a pharmacy licensed to prepare compound drugs
- a recreational complex called 'Nezhegol'
- museums (The University History Museum, the Zoological Museum, the Mineralogical Museum and the N. Strakhov Library-Museum)
- a University Healthcare Centre
- a Horse Riding School
- the Svetlana Khorkina Sports Complex
In 2009 BelSU became a Foundation University of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in Nanotechnology.
In 2010 Belgorod State University was granted 'National Research University' status.
In 2012 Belgorod State University was ranked 30th among 103 Russian state universities and about 500 branches that participated in the ratings.
In June 2012 the University rose to 13th (from 51st in 2011) in the ranking of the 60 academic institutions which participated in the Federal Bursary Program of the Vladimir Potanin Charity Fund.
In 2013 the University welcomed 9 Associates and Members of Russian Academy of Sciences as new teaching staff members.
In 2013 ten new scientific laboratories were instituted. Some of them were founded under the auspices of the Russian Academy of Sciences with Associates and Members’ participation or leadership.
In 2013, the 6th thousand-bed Hall of Residence was completed.
In December 2013, one of the University’s six schools of science was formally approved by the Ministry of Education and Science. The 'Garden Plants Introduction and Selection' scientific school was established by Prof. Vladimir Sorokopudov.
In the end of 2013 all the key results for the next scheduled step specified by NRU “BelSU” Program were achieved. BelSU proved its status as a National Research University and provided evidence of being an undoubtedly effective educational and scientific institution.
In 2014 BelSU entered the BRICS Universities Ranking in partnership with the QS Top-200 (at 151st).
In 2014 BelSU places 37th out of 161 Institutions of Higher Education in the INTERFAX Group National Universities Ranking.
In 2015 BelSU entered the rating of the 150 best universities of Europe and Central Asia. The rating is assessed by QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) (141st -150th).
In a rating of Spanish Cybermetrics Company (Webometrics Ranking of World Universities) BelSU is one of the best 2000 universities in the World: 1757th position among 15,000 international and 18th position among 1531 Russian universities and scientific organizations.
According to the results from the efficiency monitoring of universities in 2015, BelSU achieved top 20 status among Russian universities by:
- the number of active dissertation (13th)
- the number of publications indexed in Web of Science and Scopus databases (19th)
- the number of intramural postgraduates (20th)
- R&D volume, exceeding 1 billion Rubles (20th)
In 2015 BelSU entered the top 20 leading universities in Russia by number of foreign students.
In 2016 BelSU ranked 19th among the best Russian higher education institutions according to the International Interfax Group. In 2017 the university rose to 18th.
In 2017 BelSU entered the 'Top 100' of one of the main world rankings – the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects and took 76th -100th position in the 'Metallurgy' category of the 'Physical Sciences' section.
In 2017 BelSU created a fourth scientific discipline in humanities called 'The person, Society, and Science: challenges and prospects for development".
In 2017 BelSU was included in a consortium of exporters of higher education institutions from Russia with the purpose of providing an innovative Russian platform for increasing growth in rates of exporting education.
In 2017 BelSU was included in the list of the 19 higher education institutions and four scientific organizations which are given the right to independently award candidate and doctor of science academic degrees, create dissertation councils and establish their credentials.
In 2017 by Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation of December 11, 2017 No. 1206 'About Federal Innovative Platforms' (FIP), BelSU was included in the list of FIP due to a project entitled 'The formation of a new quality of staff training under conditions involving the implementation of the university’s development strategy as a centre of innovative, technological and social development in the region'.
In 2018 BelSU has joined WorldSkills Russia movement and became an associated partner of 'Young Professionals (WroldSkills Russia)' Union.
In 2018 BelSU kept its position among the first hundred of the best universities according to ARWU Shanghai ranking in 'Metallurgy' category (position 76-100).